My packing routine usually goes like this: Think about what I am going to take with me. Procrastinate until the night before I leave. That night (or even the day of), panic and throw everything in the suitcase. Discover, after I am on the road, at least three crucial things (like my toothbrush, curling iron or part of my outfit) that I left at home. Now, Genius Pack is here with luggage to help the “packing-challenged” or the “organizationally-impaired” like me.
The company sent me the Genius Packer 22” carry-on luggage to test out. Here is what I found:
- Easy to handle. The bag is designed as an upright, but ha a handle on the side for versatility in carrying it. Spinners make for easy maneuvering and don’t add to the stress of carrying or pulling from one place to another, especially when you are in a hurry.
- Designated compartments. Open the luggage and find five interior compartments, labeled for you. No guesswork about what goes where—underwear, socks and toiletries (which is removable). There are also zipped pouches for electronics and an optional mini speaker to use with your smart phone. Of course, you don’t have to use the compartments as labeled, but what a relief to know they are there if you need them. I also maximized space by using separate packing cubes for my tops, pants and other items.
This bag makes packing idiot-proof. There are labeled pockets for magazines, a water bottle, an optional mini umbrella and a front outer pocket for a charger (also optional) designed to recharge your mobile device directly from your luggage. The umbrella and charger are sold separately.
- Separates clean clothes from dirty. The patent-pending technology has a detachable laundry bag that zips into the suitcase, accessible from the outside zippered pocket. You flatten and roll up the empty laundry bag. As you put your laundry in, you maximize space by rolling the bag toward the wall. Excess air goes out of a one-way valve.
- A place for your coat. There is a strap with a hook in the back of the bag. You can place your coat on top, stretch the hook over it and latch it to the front. Hands-free travel.
- Can tilt forward when fully expanded. I found that when I filled the luggage, including its two-inch expansion, it tended to be off balance, forcing me to prop it against something for it to stay upright or keep picking it up when it fell over.
- You can have any color you want, as long as it is black. Just an aesthetic, but a choice of colors would be nice.
- Dimensions: 22″ x 14″ x 9.5.” Weight: 8.6 lbs.
- The Genius Pack 22″ costs $198 (without the speaker, umbrella and portable battery pack)
Genius Pack incorporates its unique organizational designs to all its products, including a 28” upright (not a spinner), garment bag, back pack, business case, duffel bag and “flight bag” that wraps around airplane seat to store all your flight needs such as a computer tablet and magazines.
The bag I used was provided to me by Genius Pack at no charge. All opinions expressed above are my own.